This is the most scripted single target fight we’ve had in a while. No random targeting, you will not be running out of range to place puddles, charges or anything. This is a simple, scripted dps race.
You are advised to use Transcendence at the exit of the fight when progressing Guarm. Make sure the boss is close to your port and headlong charge is not coming up soon when you wish to Provoke/Transcendence away to reset. A breath+charge could quickly lock the boss and ruin your day.
How to survive: you shouldn’t be taking exceedingly more damage than other melees. You can use Healing Elixir to top yourself up before the boss charges you, or Dampen Harm to prevent bad things happening (boss positioning can be hazardous, you don’t wanna tank Flashing Fangs or Multi-Headed.)
Mechanics to avoid: Stay behind the boss at all time and remain far from the side where the tanks stand. The frontal cone (starting on boss center) and cleaving auto attacks are deadly. You should have plenty of mobility to soak your breath color easily.
The first one is foams: Flaming Volatile Foam, Briney Volatile Foam and Shadowy Volatile Foam. These dispellable dots will make the fight slightly more complicated. However, with Roll it should be easy once you get used to it to fly from groups to groups to get dispells and soak breath.
The second one is that melees will now consistently soak the short charge by being the biggest clutch of players. This means not being topped can be deadly here. Use Dampen Harm if you’re at risk of dying.
The third one is the enrage timer, extremely tight as the boss was released. This will decrease over the weeks with people gearing up even more and potentially reaching 35th trait in their artifact more and more. However, let’s look at what this means for us Windwalkers:
4 minutes fight means we get 3 guaranteed casts of Touch of Karma and Serenity, no more. We also only get two Touch of Death (third one most likely won’t go off since Guarm kills players through most immunities on enrage.)
This means you can and will line up your second Touch of Death with one of your other Serenity. It also means you have about 45 seconds of breathing room to line up your Serenity with the best timing.
- Pre-pull: Chi Wave at 17 seconds, Flying Serpent Kick at 9, Chi Wave boss at 1 and pre-Potion of the Old War.
- 0:00 Go in and use Touch of Death+Serenity on the boss
- 0:50 Boss is using Headlong Charge now; you can use Touch of Karma to soak some of the ticking damage. You can hit the boss as he runs past you without getting hit. Keep Hit Combo up.
- 1:30 Serenity comes off cooldown; don’t use it instantly, use your fist of fury and cast serenity a few seconds later, when it will line up with Fists of Fury and Strike of the Windlord easily.
- 2:00 Touch of Death comes off cooldown. Don’t use it instantly
- 2:15 Second Headlong Charge should be happening now.
- 3:00 If you’re using Potion of Prolonged Power, it should be used by now.
- 3:15 Serenity should be coming off cooldown, make sure that third Headlong Charge isn’t in less than 10 seconds (it’s around 3:30) when using it. You can use it after the Headlong Charge as well. Combine this with Touch of Death.
- 4:00 At the end of the last breath, boss should berserk.
One could argue it is better to wait with Serenity at 1:30, use second Old War at 1:50 and Touch of Death+Serenity at 2:00. This will ensure a 25 seconds window for Old War with no Headlong Charge and cooldowns up.
For Heroic and Normal, you can check Mythic to see how one would plan the fight with a 4 minutes kill in mind. Check your group’s timers to see how to line things up properly. This will make a very significant difference in dps.
As for Cenedril, Reflector of Hatred: This is by far our best legendary on this fight. It can however be a dangerous game to play.
On all difficulties, Headlong Charge‘s direct hit is only 4 millions damage. It is extremely easy to sit in it an let the ticking damage do the rest of the soak. However, this requires you to wait until at least 50 seconds in to use Touch of Karma.
If you want to use Touch of Karma more offensively, you have two more mechanics: Flashing Fangs (a 25 yards cone in front of the boss, dealing very heavy damage) and multi headed (autoattacks hit the second target closest to active tank). It is advise in this case to have an accurate tracking of the remaining value on Touch of Karma and to pair it up with Dampen Harm to avoid bad surprises.
When doing so, you can use Potions of Prolonged Power which are then quite powerful due to the extra health and will grant you pretty much the same damage as potions of the old war with extra survivability.